- 2 large shallots, roughly chopped
- 3 heaping tablespoons shiro miso
- 1 tablespoon wasabi powder mixed with 3 tablespoons sake
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 pound small (51-60) shrimp
- Kosher salt
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 2 heads frisée, cored, leaves torn, rinsed and dried
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
1. In a blender, combine the shallots, miso and sake-wasabi mixture and blend at high speed. With the machine running, add 1 tablespoon water then gradually drizzle in the 1/2 cup oil. Season with salt and pepper, blend in the sesame oil and 2 to 4 tablespoons water, and set aside.
2. Heat a medium sauté pan over high heat. Add the remaining 1 tablespoon oil and swirl to coat the pan. When the oil is hot, add the shrimp, season with salt and pepper, and sauté, stirring, until the shrimp are cooked through, about 2 minutes.
3. In a large serving bowl, combine the carrots, frisée, tomatoes, and shrimp along with the juices and toss. Add enough vinaigrette to coat the salad lightly and toss. Taste to adjust the seasoning, toss, and serve.